- Virtual machines: Test Microsoft Edge and versions of IE6 through IE11 using free virtual machines you download and manage locally.
- RemoteIE: Test remotely for free using Azure RemoteApp on your Windows, Mac, iOS or Android device.
- Quick site scan: Run a quick code scan on any URL to check for out-of-date libraries, layout issues, and accessibility.
- Generate screenshots: See how your site renders across 9 common browsers and devices.
sheetrock.js – is a jQuery plugin for querying, retrieving, and displaying data from Google Spreadsheets. Use it to load entire sheets or leverage SQL-like queries to treat Google Spreadsheets as a quick-and-dirty JSON datastore. All you need is the URL of a public Google Spreadsheet. It requires no backend code whatsoever—everything is done in the browser.
Google Doc has many neat hidden feature you might not know about, for instance, you can use Google Doc to monitor website up time, use Google doc to do large file conversion and recovery. Recently, I discovered you can use Google Doc’s spreadsheet to serve JSON static data. This means, for some simple web application that needs server to serve some form of static data will no longer require you as a developer to write any server component code. It also provided a very user friendly medium for you to update the data inside Google doc. If you know the ramification of this, you’d appreciate the shortcut.
Vendorbation ven·dor·ba·tion /ˈvendər-ˈbā-shən/
noun : Unusable web-based intranet software foisted on large populations of users who have no say in the matter.
No Facebook, No Service?
The Idaho Statesman, my sort-of-local newspaper, just announced that it will follow the lead of the Miami Herald and no longer allow readers to post anonymous comments to online stories. Starting September 15, readers who want to make comments will have to login through Facebook
With the advent of object-oriented CSS (OOCSS), it has become increasingly fashionable to “decouple presentation semantics from document semantics.” By leveraging the undesignated meanings of classes, it is possible to manage one’s document and the appearance of one’s document as curiously separate concerns.
In this article, we will explore an alternative approach to styling Web documents, one that marries document semantics to visual design wherever possible. With the use of “intelligent” selectors, we’ll cover how to query the extant, functional nature of semantic HTML in such a way as to reward well-formed markup. If you code it right, you’ll get the design you were hoping for.
Starting to play with media queries for responsive layouts.
- How to Make Images Scale for Responsive Web Design
- What are the rules for CSS media query overlap? (Stack Overflow)
- Essential Considerations for Crafting Quality Media Queries
A set of small, responsive CSS modules that you can use in every web project.